Independent Assurance Report
Independent Limited Assurance Report to the Directors of DCC plc
We have been engaged by DCC plc (‘DCC’) to provide limited assurance over the Selected Information described below
for the year ended 31 March 2016.
Based on the work we have performed and the evidence we have obtained, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the Selected Information has not been properly prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the Reporting Criteria.
This conclusion is to be read in the context of the remainder of this report, in particular the inherent limitations explained below
and this report’s intended use.
The scope of our work includes only the information included within the Sustainability Report (‘the Report’) of the DCC Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended 31 March 2016 marked with the symbol Δ (‘the Selected Information’).
We have not performed any work, and do not express any conclusion, over any other information that may be included in the Report or displayed elsewhere on DCC’s website for the current year or for previous periods unless otherwise indicated.
The carbon emissions data has been evaluated against DCC’s Carbon Reporting Criteria as set out for the Selected Information. The Selected Information needs to be read together with the Reporting Criteria.
We have not performed any work, and do not express any conclusion, over any other information that may be displayed in the DCC Annual Report and Accounts or on the Company’s website for the current year or for previous periods unless otherwise indicated.
The nature of non-financial information; the absence of a significant body of established practice on which to draw; and the methods and precision used to determine non-financial information, allow for different, but acceptable evaluation and measurement techniques
and can result in materially different measurements, affecting comparability between entities and over time.
The Directors of DCC are responsible for:
- designing, implementing and maintaining internal controls relevant to the preparation and presentation of the Selected Information that is free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error;
- selecting and/or developing objective Reporting Criteria;
- measuring and reporting the Selected Information in accordance with the Reporting Criteria; and,
- the contents and statements contained within the Report and the Reporting Criteria.
Our responsibility is to plan and perform our work to obtain limited assurance about whether the Selected Information has been prepared in accordance with the Reporting Criteria and to report to DCC in the form of an independent limited assurance conclusion based on the work performed and the evidence obtained.
Assurance standards applied
We performed our work in accordance with International Standard on Assurance Engagements 3000 – ‘Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information’ (‘ISAE 3000’) and International Standard on Assurance Engagements 3410 – ‘Assurance Engagements on Greenhouse Gas Statements’ (‘ISAE 3410’), issued by the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board.
The work performed in a limited assurance engagement varies in nature and timing from, and is less in extent than for, a reasonable assurance engagement. Consequently, the level of assurance obtained in a limited assurance engagement is substantially lower than the assurance that would have been obtained had a reasonable assurance engagement been performed.
Independence, professional standards and quality control
We comply with the Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants issued by the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants and we apply International Standard on Quality Control (UK and Ireland) 1, ‘Quality Control for Firms that Perform Audits and Reviews of Historical Financial Information, and Other Assurance and Related Services Engagements’. Accordingly, we maintain a comprehensive system of quality control including documented policies and procedures regarding compliance with ethical requirements and professional standards (including independence, and other requirements founded on fundamental principles of integrity, objectivity, professional competence and due care, confidentiality and professional behaviour) as well as applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Summary of work performed
Considering the level of assurance and our assessment of the risk of material misstatement of the Selected Information, whether due to fraud or error, our work included, but was not restricted to:
- assessing the appropriateness of the Reporting Criteria for the Selected Information;
- conducting interviews with DCC management to obtain an understanding of the key processes, systems and controls in place over the
preparation of the Selected Information;
- agreeing a selection of the Selected Information to the corresponding source documentation;
- considering the appropriateness of the carbon conversion factor calculations and other unit conversion factor calculations used by reference to widely recognised and established conversion factors;
- re-performing a selection of the carbon conversion factor calculations and other unit conversion factor calculations;
- performing analytical review procedures over the aggregated Selected Information, including a comparison to the prior periods’ amounts having due regard to changes in business volume and the business portfolio; and
- reading the Report and narrative accompanying the Selected Information in the Report with regard to the Reporting Criteria, and for consistency with our findings.
This report’s intended use
This assurance report is made solely to DCC in accordance with the terms of the engagement contract between us. Those terms permit disclosure to other parties, solely for the purpose of DCC showing that it has obtained an independent assurance report in connection with the Selected Information.
We have not considered the interest of any other party in the Selected Information. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we accept no responsibility and deny any liability to any party other than DCC for our work, for this assurance report or for the
conclusions we have reached.
16 May 2016